Snow Cover: Varies by Trail
Date of Report: December 27, 2016
Report Courtesy of the Michigan Snowmobile Association
- The warmth and rain on Monday did not help the water issues. The wind was knocking limbs and trees down all over. Watch for new ones since a groomer has passed. Early season right now so ride cautiously watching for stumps, rocks, and other obstacles.
- Fresh 2-4 inches of snow today.
- Our parts of trail 8 going west from Soo in fair to good shape.
- Still working on opening those traditional wet trails of Soo to Kinross and Kinross to Raco. Water prevents us from getting to them.
- Watch for wet areas or water holes not yet frozen if you get in your sled
- Big reroute around Raco this year
- There is a change in the Soo to Kinross trail also.
- We have a new plowed parking area at the beginning of trail #8 under the International Bridge.
We now have a marked trail that will be groomed on occasion to get to parts and service at Chippewa Motors. it comes into the back of their lot from the east side of M-129 when you come out of the woods.
Remember trail base is the amount of snow between your track and the ground below not the amount of fluff piled up in the woods. 6 inches of snow compresses to less then a inch on the trail.
Sault Ste. Marie to Brimley, Trail #8 –
Base 1- 3 inches -Trail is in poor to fair Condition.
Brimley to Raco, Trail #8 –
Base 1 – 4 inches -Trail is in fair Condition. When going across the bridge in Brimley make sure you go with the flow of traffic! Blowing and drifting occurs when you first leave Brimley.
Raco to Naomikong Trail #8 [where Paradise meets us], Trail #8 –
Base 1 – 5 inches – Trail is in fair to good Condition.
Sault Ste. Marie City Trail, Trails #497, #449, parts of #8 & #49 –
Base 1- 3 inches – Trail is in poor to fair condition.
We now have a marked & groomed trail going to Chippewa Motors. It starts once you come out of the woods east of M-129 off #449. It comes into their parking lot from behind if you need parts or service.
City curfew is from 1 am – 6 am. Remember most City streets are open to traffic 20mph, stop at all intersections, and ride on the right hand side of street not on side walks. Watch for closed streets that are posted, mainly around the hospital, university, and state trunk lines.
Sault Ste. Marie to Kinross, Trail #49 –
Base 1 – 3 inches – Trail is in poor Condition. There are wet spots. Make sure you follow reroute once you cross bridge going south at 7 Mile road .
When the trail is running along roads make sure you go with the flow of traffic on the right side of the road.
Kinross loop & south to Pickford, Parts of Trail #49, #472, and #494 –
Base 1- 4 inches – Trail in fair condition. Watch for trucks driving on trails it seems to be the thing this year.
Kinross to Raco & Rudyard, Parts of trail #472 & #480 –
Base 1 – 3 inches – Trail in poor Condition. Lots of water and trail to Rudyard is packed but not to Raco. Watch for reroute signs just west of Kinross
News and Reports:
Courtesy of the Sault Ste Marie Snowmobile Association
The Sledder’s Pledge
- I will obey the rules and laws of the state or province I am visiting.
- I will be careful when crossing roads, and always cross at a right angle to traffic.
- I will keep my machine in top shape and follow a pre-op check before each ride.
- I will wear appropriate clothing, including gloves, boots and a helmet with a visor.
- I will let family or friends know my planned route, my destination and my expected arrival time.
- I will treat the outdoors with respect. I will not litter or damage trees or other vegetation.
- I will respect other peoples’ property and rights, and lend a hand when I see someone in need.
- I will not snowmobile where prohibited.